Friday, August 23, 2013

Pablo Sanz - Our 2013 Winery Intern



I apologize.  Lots of water under the bridge since my last post, but I'm hoping to have more time to dedicate to this blog in the future. Now, on to other topics.

As has become the tradition, every year about this time we introduce our harvest intern. I ask them to provide me with an auto-biography that I can include in a post to share with anyone that is interested. This year, I suggested that Pablo read the posts introducing Rachel Simpson (2010), Daniel Brennan (2011) and Sierra Reed (2012), and use them as a guide for his auto-biography. Pablo sent me a very brief bio with 4 pictures and the following message

     " I try to do my best, but I don't know, I don't feel like reaching the same level as the other biographies you have there...   Here's mine, feel free to change something if you see any mistake and to give better format, or whatever."

I encouraged him to share a family picture with us, and he did so promptly.  He had even added a bit to his bio, which as you can see, is still very short.  I'll bet he doesn't do Facebook either.

I hope to create another post, or two about Pablo in the future, but it may be a challenge getting him to talk. 

Pablo is from Spain, the origin of my Dad's folks.   And he arrives this Monday...




 
I was born in Madrid (Spain), where I grew up and studied.

I obtained a Bachelor in Biology and started my specialization, making a Master in Forensic and Physic Anthropology. After finishing it I decided to study more seriously one of the family hobbies, the wine. My parents were always attracted to the world of wine, even more having relatives living in the center of one of the strongest Spanish appellations. And their interest meant to me and my brother plenty of chances to get to know how a winery works and the pride the winemakers had showing people where they work.

 

I made a Master in Viticulture and Winemaking, where, since the first week of lessons I realized that I was really interested in the oenology, finding it a lot more challenging than I could have ever expected, and captivating me instantly.

 

I decided to make Winemaking practices during the Master and I could arrange them at Bodegas Lleiroso, a small winery (130 tons) placed in the well know Spanish appellation, Ribera del Duero, where I could be trained almost in every step of the winemaking process, and where I could work with the strong variety Tempranillo.

 

Just after finishing my Master in Winemaking, I decided to keep going and at the same time travel. I was hired by Matua, in New Zealand. I worked there as cellar hand, learning another totally different way of working, taking into account that this winery was completely different (28.000 tons), working with Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir among other varieties.
 

I could also meet people from all around the world, some of them sharing my love for the wine.

 

This experience encouraged and trained me to take the next step and keep travelling making wine.
 

My next stop California, looking forward to it!


1 comment:

Steve said...

Looks like another good intern find.